Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Unemployed, Drunk and Blogging

Well this is my first post on this here blog. I've been unemployed for a few weeks now and this has left me with a disproportionate amount of free time on my hands. Now, don't get me wrong, I still get out, hit the bars, walk to the beach, attend social events with free beer and lounge in the afternoon sun. However, there seems to be a serious lacking of jobs in this here economy. In fact over the last month employers cut nearly 533,000 jobs in San Francisco alone. Regardless of the negative income these days one must find way of entertaining themselves.

To entertain myself through the long days and the not long enough nights I have been reading, looking for work and surfing the internets for news on Journalism, comics, free stuff, music and social technologies. One of the great treasures (we will see) is Blip.fm.
Blip is a pretty nifty gadget that is pretty much a Twitter for Music. It's been fun to play so far. I do have some qualms with the interface and the fact that there is no apparent volume control. It does not have the same selection of eclectic songs from artists you know much like Pandora has, nor does it make any actual suggestions for you. However it is much more fun and easier to use than the now defunct (soon not to be) Muxtape.

Anyway, as I browsed and learned the ways of this new fangled do hicky, I got to thinking about my employment status. I recalled when I was working, how I would often hear a particular song running through my head at the end of a long day or in the middle of a frustrating afternoon. The song...Workin In a Coalmine by Lee Dorsey and made familiar to me through the late and not so great sitcom Working with Fred Savage all grown up and stuff.

Well I looked this song up and sure enough it is on Blip.fm! But as I look through the list of songs I noticed there were multiple listings for the song "Working In a Coalmine." I checked out the list and I notice that Harry Connick Jr, The Judds, Allen Toussaint...and DEVO?!? have all covered the song.

I did a double take and asked myself, "Did Devo really cover this song?" I scratched my head and drank another sip of beer and pondered some more. I figured it was a mislabled song from someone's personal files, but I wasn't sure. One google search later and low and behold we have a video...



Now you think that's a weird video? Well it's Devo, what did you expect? What's weird is that this is a video featuring the original performer Lee Dorsey...



Which one is weirder? You decide!

No comments: